The Fellowship of Reconciliation USA (FOR-USA) is a national interfaith organization headquartered in New York State. Founded in 1915, our mission is to organize, train, and grow a diverse movement that welcomes all people of conscience to end structures of violence and war, and create peace through the transformative power of nonviolence. We are seeking a motivated and well-organized Operations Director to join our team.
The Fellowship of Reconciliation currently has a small office in Rockland County, approximately 45 minutes north of Manhattan, with National Council (governing board) members and FOR grassroots chapters & affiliate groups across the United States. (FOR-USA is also a national branch of the International Fellowship of Reconciliation, a global NGO with accredited status at the United Nations, coordinated by a secretariat headquarters in the Netherlands and serving branches in more than 40 countries.)
The Operations Director will play a key role in facilitating the establishment of a permanent office for FOR-USA, and will work closely with the Executive Director, the New York-based staff team, and national staff and consultant colleagues to ensure effective and smooth operations for the organization.
- Can you oversee the day to day management of the office with efficiency, effectiveness, humor, and in the spirit of collaboration?
- Are you adept at facilitating cross-team communication?
- Are you able to innovate and lead in building the kind of operations systems that will enable the Fellowship of Reconciliation to pursue its mission from a position of strength?
This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to leverage their project planning, relationship-building, and operational skills in order to support a historic peace-and-justice organization.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Create and lead systems and processes that support open lines of communication and collaboration within the organization;
- Represent Fellowship of Reconciliation externally in banking operations and lease negotiations;
- Act as on-site lead staff in the New York Office.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, and efficient nonprofit operations practices;
- Manage human resources, Information Technology, banking and office lease; ensure all regulatory requirements related to space and human resources are followed and up-to-date;
- Negotiate and manage all contracts with vendors and insurance;
- Monitor and order office supplies and equipment.
- Support the Executive Director and Controller in planning and implementing the annual budget and audit process;
- Prepare and make bank deposits as necessary;
- Review and approve all expenditures prior to payment processing;
- Review all paper revenue streams to ensure proper coding.
- Serve as the primary point person for recruiting vacancies and on-boarding new employees;
- Manage the benefits program;
- Maintain confidential personnel files.
- Work with consultants and other staff to ensure that IT systems are maintained, updated, and operational.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a senior operations management;
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
- Strong mentoring and coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise;
- Entrepreneurial team player who is flexible and can remain non-anxious in an organization undergoing change and growth;
- Self-reliant, results-oriented;
- Strong written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, support staff, consultants, and governing board members;
- Passion for the Fellowship of Reconciliation’s mission.
- 30 hours per week. Regular work hours are 10:00AM – 4:00PM.
- Other related responsibilities as assigned.
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $40,000. Benefits include generous paid vacation, sick, personal days, and designated holidays, and pension plan. FOR-USA provides health insurance, with employee contribution of 30% of premium.
Please email a resume and cover letter:
Attn.: Emma Jordan-Simpson, Executive Director: ejsimpson [at] forusa [dot] org
Be sure to include “Director of Operations” in the subject line of your email.
FOR-USA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Peoples of color and of diverse gender identities are strongly encouraged to apply.