Petition to Investigate Torture
A Petition to Investigate Torture
Americans and others around the world have been shocked by graphic images and descriptions of the abuse and torture of people held in the custody of the United States. While high U.S. officials have denied responsibility for these acts, they have also refused to allow independent investigations.
Few human actions are more shameful and immoral than the abuse and torture of captives. They shatter and defile God’s Image, as it is reflected in every human being. They violate the most basic ethical, moral, and religious principles. Abuse and torture are also serious crimes under the International Convention Against Torture, the U.S. War Crimes Act of 1996 and the U.S. Torture Act of 2000.
Halting torture and other war crimes is the moral and legal responsibility not only of every government but of every citizen
Therefore, we, the undersigned, call upon our Congressional representatives to meet their responsibilities by ensuring a thorough, independent investigation of torture and other possible U.S. war crimes through all available means, including:
1) Congressional investigation (House and/or Senate Select Committee);
2) Appointment of a special counsel/special prosecutor by the Attorney General; and
3) Creation of an independent commission (similar to the 9/11 Commission).
Investigators should have the power and responsibility to follow up on whatever crimes they discover; they should have the power to subpoena evidence and testimony; and they should have an explicit responsibility to investigate the role of high government officials, refusing to offer impunity to anyone.
Only by holding our highest government officials accountable for their actions can the American people and government restore a condition of mutual respect with the people whose citizens, cultures and religions have been so abused.
* Signing and circulating this petition is an “affirmative measure” toward halting war crimes, a responsibility we all have under international law, as described in the Call to Resist the War in Iraq.
* For more information about reclaiming the Prophetic Voice, please visit their website at : www.ReclaimingthePropheticVoice.org
1. Sign the petition online!
2. Download a PDF version of the petition to circulate.
3. If you don’t intend to circulate the petition but would like to contact your own Congressional Representatives, we have prepared a version of the petition in letter format. Download a PDF version of the letter
4. If you plan to send an individual letter, you can locate your Congressional representatives here.