Palestine Arts Delegation application
Current FOR status: Discontinued. This is an archive of FOR’s work from 2008 to 2014.
In 2011, the Fellowship of Reconciliation’s Task Force on the Middle East in collaboration with Rabbi Lynn Gottlieb and the Shomer Shalom Network for Jewish Nonviolence organized an artists’ delegation to Palestine to use the arts as a form of community building, do solidarity work, transform space, learn about the nonviolent movements for peace and justice that are happening on the ground, and build friendships with the Palestinian people.
The first FOR-sponsored artist delegation to Palestine took place in September 2011. Six artists from the U.S. and China spent a month facilitating art workshops and painting murals in the Balata Refugee Camp, just south of Nablus in the West Bank. In three weeks, our team created three murals in collaboration with many women, men, and children living in Balata.
Please only submit an application to participate in the next artists’ delegation if the following applies to you:
- You are a visual artist, dancer, street performer, musician, actor, clown, filmmaker, photographer, have mural experience, etc.
- You are an experienced traveler, who has preferably traveled in the Middle East.
- You have knowledge about the Palestinian struggle for self-determination and are interested in doing Palestine solidarity work upon returning home.
- You know or are interested in learning Arabic.
- You love working with children!
- You are culturally sensitive and insightful.
- You enjoy being part of a team, are a good communicator, are able to listen and follow leadership.
- You are compassionate, thoughtful, patient, have a good work ethic and motivated. You are easy-going and go with the flow.
- You are capable of working under challenging circumstances and adjust well to change. (Palestine is a very volatile place and things can happen at any minute. We are looking for people who can adjust easily.)
- You are creative and imaginative, up for adventure, and willing to try new things.
- All participants must be willing to participate in an orientation a couple of days before we leave, and must be willing to travel together if possible.
Cost: $2,500. This will cover your travel, most meals, housing, and transportation on the ground.
If you have any questions about applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application will be securely stored on the FOR server. We will not add you to any mailing lists or use this information for any purpose other than your delegation application.