The Fellowship of Reconciliation (FOR USA), founded in 1915, is the oldest interfaith peace and justice organization in North America. With chapters and national staff located throughout the United States and headquarters in Nyack, N.Y., FOR-USA is part of an international FOR network with branches in more than 40 countries.
As an interfaith organization, FOR-USA’s mission is to organize, train, and grow a diverse movement that welcomes all people of conscience to end structures of violence and war, and create peace through the transformative power of nonviolence.
TITLE OF POSITION:
Senior Organizer and Trainer
The Senior Organizer & Trainer supports the work of FOR-USA out of the New York headquarters or field location (to be negotiated) and works under the Director of Campaigns & Strategy to help develop and implement campaigns that address the root causes of war, organize movement work, and train community members in the practice of nonviolence through an intersectional and spiritually grounded approach.
The Senior Organizer & Trainer will work with the Director of Campaigns & Strategy to implement the field plan of FOR campaigns around issues such as Black Lives Matter, Boycott Divestment and Sanctions, Interreligious understanding, and the refugee crisis at the grassroots level and in partnership with organizational allies to build community power.
The Senior Organizer & Trainer will be responsible for coordinating nonviolent direct action trainings for organizers, community members, and faith communities consistent with the values of FOR, as well as retreats, conferences, and events for education and leadership development.
The Senior Organizer & Trainer will assist in tracking and providing data for analysis by Director of Campaigns and Strategy to determine campaign efficiency and to problem solve with adequate responses.
The Senior Organizer & Trainer must be a talented individual with proven leadership, problem solving, and communication skills, with a track record of creating and implementing campaigns and field plans rooted in relational power and advancing innovative outlooks.
- Work closely with Director of Campaigns and Strategy to develop and implement data-driven, innovative, and grassroots empowered campaigns in line with organizational mission and vision.
- Assist the Director of Campaigns and Strategy to track, monitor, and evaluate campaigns and re-adapt responses based on real-time information.
- Develop and supervise regional teams of grassroots volunteers and organizers, who contribute to grassroots efforts to ending structures of violence locally and nationally.
- Support and lead grassroots fundraising efforts to advance campaigns.
Develop and Innovate FOR Organizing Model
- Work closely with Director of Campaigns and Strategy to Coordinate FOR organizing collective to ensure unified vision, ongoing development of innovative strategies, and movement infrastructure development in key cities.
- Establish and lead nationwide nonviolent direct action trainings in partnership with movement stakeholders and community organizations.
- Organize faith-based conferences and retreats to mobilize faith communities and clergy in radical action grounded in theological perspective.
- Conduct partnership and coalition building activities with local, statewide and national leaders and organizations to advance FOR strategy and build connections with efforts to dismantle structures of violence.
- Work closely with Director of Campaigns and Strategy to develop joint organizing campaigns and direct actions with national networks, coalition partners, and allies.
- Build FOR grassroots base, especially among millennials, through leadership recruitment, training, and teaching of FOR’s values to new generations of leaders.
- Serve as FOR ambassador in local stakeholder meetings, organizing calls, events and conferences, and within partner coalitions.
Additional Duties Assigned to All Employees
- All employees are expected to assist with execution of the annual development plan to support meeting the annual organizational budget. Activities may include, but are not limited to: Playing a lead or support role in drafting content for and/or submitting grant proposals; Soliciting individual gifts from prospective major donors as assigned, by mail, phone, and in person; Participating in donor cultivation and solicitation activities in support of small donor development, including by phone, email, or mail; Playing a lead role in executing small fundraising events or a support role in organizing larger fundraising or donor cultivation events.
- Represent the organization positively in public at all times by acting as a professional representative and ambassador.
- Support the mission and goals of the organization across all programs and departments.
- Maintain accountability to administrative systems and procedures, including submitting expense reimbursements, credit card reconciliations, invoices, and so on by the deadlines assigned, as well as submitting content for the organizational calendar and informing other staff of activities and whereabouts.
- Participate actively in staff meetings and retreats and Board meetings when requested.
- Plan, track, and report on individual and departmental work in support of organizational coordination and synergy
- Contribute content for organizational communications and marketing materials, such as the regular eblasts and newsletters
Preferred qualifications, knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Five years experience and demonstrated track record in direct action and movement building infrastructure skills (i.e. jail support development, legal observation training, NVDA training).
- Spanish or Arabic language capabilities a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience as a NVDA Trainer
- Experience in grassroots and national organizing
- Campaign success
- Building grassroot bases from scratch
- Fundraising for campaigns
- Understanding of transformational organizing culture.
- Grounding in community of accountability and respect for diverse spiritual practices and faith traditions
Reports to: Director of Campaigns and Strategy
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary with benefits including generous paid vacation, sick, personal days, and designated holidays, and pension plan. FOR USA provides health insurance, with employee contribution of 30% of premium.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be considered as they are received.
FOR is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.