Your support of the #GiveRefugeesRest campaign to end Islamophobia and welcome refugees continues to build incredible momentum.
This week, your expressed concerns will be shared directly with Speaker of the House Paul Ryan.
This February, I led a delegation of FOR staff, members, and allies, including five refugees and immigrants, to Speaker Ryan’s office in Washington, DC. We brought your deep concerns about rising attacks on Muslims in the United States and the immoral political agenda that has resisted refugee resettlement in our nation. Speaker Ryan’s legislative director, Katie Donnell, received our delegation — and some of your #GiveRefugeesRest pillowcases — with respect and attentiveness.
We were heartened by three specific commitments made at the time:
- Speaker Ryan will speak out against anti-Muslim rhetoric, and would accept an invitation to visit the new mosque in Janesville, WI — his district and hometown.
- Speaker Ryan’s staff will work with Nonviolent Peaceforce, represented at our meeting by FOR member David Grant, to explore unarmed accompaniment as a form of refugee protection.
- Speaker Ryan will welcome continued direct contact from FOR-USA and Give Refugees Rest supporters like you.
The third commitment will be honored this week: Tomorrow, June 2, FOR’s Director for Campaigns and Strategy Anthony Grimes and I, alongside grassroots constituents — Salih Erschen and Sabrina Erschen of the Janesville Muslim Dawa Circle and Neil Deupree on behalf of the Rock Valley FOR chapter — will meet with Speaker Paul Ryan in his office in Janesville, WI.
We will present to Speaker Ryan the deep concerns you have been communicating that anti-Muslim rhetoric is creating a violent and hateful environment in the United States, an environment that is truly dangerous for our Muslim brothers and sisters.
Islamophobia is preventing a compassionate response to the refugee crisis and is leading to a documented surge in anti-Muslim violence in our country (PDF). We want Speaker Ryan to support a local, national, and international dialogue to end Islamophobia and allow true religious liberty.
Help us take the message to #EndIslamophobia to Speaker Ryan:
- Send a #GiveRefugeesRest pillowcase to Rep. Paul Ryan at 20 S. Main St., Suite 10, Janesville, WI 53545.
- Join us for a national debrief call on Wednesday, June 8, at 8:00 PM Eastern, 5:00 PM Pacific. More information to come!
- Visit Give Refugees Rest for more information.
Thank you for your unwavering support!