FOR's Shadowcliff National Headquarters
Host an Event at Shadowcliff
Shadowcliff is the home of the national offices of the Fellowship of Reconciliation and is available for religious observances and the social events following them. These observances include events associated with:
- Birth and adoption
- Confirmation and professions of faith
- Weddings and wedding anniversaries
- Funerals and memorial observances
Visit our Flickr page for images of the building and grounds at Shadowcliff, highlighting how this historic, beautiful space overlooking the Hudson River may be utilized.
For more information, contact Hope Altkin, FOR's House Manager and Peace House Host at 845.358.4601 ext. 32.
Directions to Shadowcliff
Fellowship of Reconciliation
521 N. Broadway
Nyack, New York 10960
Nyack is on the west bank of the Hudson River, 17 miles north of the George Washington Bridge. FOR's Shadowcliff headquarters is located in Upper Nyack on North Broadway, 1.3 miles north of Main Street in Nyack.
Arriving by car
Nyack is located near the intersection of Route 9W and the New York State Thruway. Broadway is its principal north-south thoroughfare. See specific directions below.
- From Upstate New York: Take the New York State Thruway (I-87 South, which joins I-287 West) south to Exit 11. At the end of the exit ramp, turn left at the traffic light onto Route 59. At the next light, turn left onto 9W/Highland. Turn right on Fifth Street, left on Broadway. Follow Broadway north for one mile. FOR is on your right, behind a brick wall. Look for a small FOR sign at the beginning of the driveway.
- From the East (Westchester County and Connecticut): Take the Tappan Zee Bridge west to exit 11 (off the New York State Thruway, I-287). At the first light, turn left onto Route 9W. Turn right on Fifth Street, left on Broadway. Follow Broadway north for one mile. FOR is on your right, behind a brick wall.
- From New York City: Take the George Washington Bridge to the Palisades Parkway. Follow this 10 miles north to Exit 4. At the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp, turn left (north) on Route 9W, and follow this for 6 miles to Nyack. At Route 59/Main Street (light), turn right. At the third light, turn left onto Broadway. Follow this north for 1.3 mile. FOR is on your right, behind a brick wall. Look for a small FOR sign at the beginning of the driveway.
- From New Jersey: NJ Turnpike to the Palisades Parkway (see above).
Arriving by bus
There is no train service directly to Nyack. The only public transportation directly into Nyack is by bus, either from New York City or from the Tarrytown train station across the Hudson River.
- Coach USA: Leaves from the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 41st Street & 8th Avenue and from the George Washington Bridge (GWB) Bus Terminal at 178th Street & Broadway, New York City. There is a bus stop in Upper Nyack on North Broadway & Castle Heights Avenue, about 0.6 mile from FOR's office. (Note: some but not all of these Route 9A and 9T buses come to Upper Nyack; ask your bus driver if it does, and if not, exit the bus at Main Street in downtown Nyack.) Check the Coach USA (or Red & Tan Bus Lines) website for current bus schedules. (In 2013 the current NYC-Nyack fare is approximately $9.00.) Phone numbers are Main Office 201-263-1254; Port Authority 212-564-8484; Rockland County 845-356-0877; GWB Terminal 212-564-1114.
- Tappan Zee Express (TZX) Bus: Travels from the Tarrytown train station to downtown Nyack (about 1.5 miles) from Monday to Saturday. In 2013 the current fare is $3.00 for one-way travel. Click here for TZX schedule information.
Arriving by train
The closest train stations to Nyack are Tarrytown, Spring Valley, Nanuet, and Suffern, all of which are located 10 to 15 miles of FOR’s office.
- The Pascack Valley Line provides service between Hoboken Terminal (New Jersey) and Spring Valley, NY. Nanuet is a stop on this train.
- The Main/Bergen-Port Jervis Line stops in Suffern and can be boarded in the Hoboken station (New Jersey).
- The Hudson River Line from Grand Central Station (midtown Manhattan) delivers passengers to Tarrytown, New York, immediately across the Hudson River from Nyack. Transit from Tarrytown to Nyack requires a bus or taxi; see above for Tappan Zee Express Bus information.
Arriving by air
Nyack is within 60 miles of five major airports. The closest airport geographically is Westchester County Airport in White Plains, NY. However, roundtrip plane tickets to Westchester County can often be more expensive than to the three major airports servicing New York City: JFK (Kennedy), LaGuardia, and Newark. Also, Westchester, like another nearby growing airport, Stewart, is poorly served by public transportation. So the NYC-area airports are often better to use due to better transportation options.
- Westchester County Airport in White Plains, N.Y. is 20 miles east across the Hudson River (Tappan Zee Bridge), approximately 30 minutes away.
- Stewart International Airport is 55 minutes away, 50 miles north of Nyack in the township of New Windsor, N.Y., just outside of Newburgh (Orange County) and across the Hudson River from Beacon (where the Hudson Line commuter train runs on the Metro-North Train system).
- Newark Liberty Airport is considered by many travelers to be the most convenient to our community in Rockland County. There are trains that run from Newark Airport to Hoboken Station (see below), connecting to NJ Transit trains to Rockland County; and also trains and buses that go directly into midtown Manhattan, providing opportunities to connect to the Metro-North train system, the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and NYC subway system.
- John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport is located in the southeastern corner of New York City, in Queens County adjacent to Long Island. It is the furthest airport from Nyack, but it is the largest airport in the region and thereby has the most flights—especially from international destinations. There are two helpful websites describing public transportation to and from JFK airport; one is provided by the Port Authority and another is found on About.com.
- LaGuardia International Airport is also in NYC's Queens County, and is the closest NYC airport to Nyack by miles. Helpful websites describing public transportation to and from LaGuardia include the Port Authority site and this page on NY.com.